Dr. William VanDoodewaardContact
Dr. William VanDoodewaard is Professor of Church History at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. He has held appointments as Visiting Research Fellow in the School of History and Anthropology at Queen’s University Belfast and Visiting Scholar at Princeton Theological Seminary for his ongoing work in the history of biblical interpretation. Prior to coming to PRTS, Dr. VanDoodewaard taught at Patrick Henry College, near Washington, D.C., and at Huntington University in Indiana.
He has written for Books & Culture, The Journal of British Studies, Themelios, Puritan Reformed Journal, Westminster Theological Journal, and online at The Gospel Coalition and Reformation21. He is also a contributor to a number of books, and the author of three: 1 & 2 Peter: Feed My Sheep (Welwyn Commentary Series), The Quest for the Historical Adam, and The Marrow Controversy and Seceder Tradition. Dr. VanDoodewaard is an ordained minister who has served as a church planter.
“And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
Select list of books authored or edited by Dr. William VanDoodewaard:
- 1 & 2 Peter: Feed My Sheep. Welwyn Commentary Series. Welwyn Garden City, UK: Evangelical Press, 2017.
- The Quest for the Historical Adam: Genesis, Hermeneutics, and Human Origins. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2015.
- The Marrow Controversy and Seceder Tradition: Marrow Theology in the Associate Presbytery and Associate Synod Secession Churches of Scotland (1733-1799). Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2011.
- Edward Fisher’s The Marrow of Modern Divinity (1645,1648), with Thomas Boston’s Annotations (1726). Fearn, Scotland: Christian Focus Publications, 2009.
- Charles Hodge’s Exegetical Lectures and Sermons on Hebrews. Banner of Truth, 2019.
Select list of articles by Dr. William VanDoodewaard:
- Review of The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why The Marrow Controversy Still Matters by Sinclair Ferguson. Themelios 41, no. 2 (August 2016): 369-371.
- Review of The Lost World of Adam and Eve, by John Walton. Reformation21, February 2016.
- “Van Til and Singer: A Theological Approach to History”, Puritan Reformed Journal 3, no. 1 (January 2011): 339-362.
Courses taught by Dr. William VanDoodewaard:
- 311 – Ancient Church History
- 312 – Medieval Church History
- 313 – Reformation Church History
- 314 – Modern Church History
- 315 – North American Church History
- 321 – Theology of Augustine & Calvin
- 322 – Research Methodology
- 327 – Post-Reformational British Theological Traditions
- 414 – Systematic Theology IV: Christology
- CH849 – The Theology of Augustine
- CH851 – Forerunners of the Reformation
- CH853 – The Theology of John Calvin
- CH857 – John Knox and the Scottish Reformation
- CH858 – Scottish Presbyterianism
- CH864 – Puritan Approaches to Scriptural Interpretation
- ST884 – Christology