Dr. Michael BarrettContact
Dr. Michael Barrett is Vice President for Academic Affairs/Academic Dean and Professor of Old Testament at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. He is a minister in the Heritage Reformed Congregations. Formerly, Dr. Barrett served as president of Geneva Reformed Seminary. He earned his doctorate in Old Testament Text with a special focus on Semitic languages.
His dissertation was titled “A Methodology for Investigating the Translation Philosophies and Techniques of the Septuagint.” For almost thirty years, he was professor of Ancient Languages and Old Testament Theology and Interpretation at Bob Jones University. Dr. Barrett had an active role in the ministry of the Free Presbyterian Church until his coming to PRTS. He is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society and has published numerous articles in both professional and popular journals. He contributed to and served as Old Testament editor for The Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible.
Dr. Barrett and his wife Sandra have two sons and five grandchildren. Dr. Barrett’s hobbies include hunting and thinking about hunting.
“And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
A select list of books authored or edited by Dr. Michael Barrett
- Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament. Greenville, SC: Ambassador-Emerald International, 1999.
- Complete in Him: A Guide to Understanding and Enjoying the Gospel. Greenville, SC: Ambassador-Emerald International, 2000.
- God’s Unfailing Purpose: The Message of Daniel. Greenville, SC: Ambassador Emerald International, 2003.
- with Paul William Overly, and David L. Burggraff. The Beauty of Holiness: A Guide to Biblical Worship. Greenville, SC: Ambassador International, 2006.
- Love Divine and Unfailing: The Gospel According to Hosea. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Pub, 2008.
- The Next-to-Last Word: Service, Hope, and Revival in the Postexilic Prophets. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2015.
- with Robert D. Bell. Bob Jones University Seminary Hebrew Handbook. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones University Press, 2007.
A select list of journal articles by Dr. Michael Barrett
- “Factoring God into Life or God and Me: An Exposition of Psalm 139” Puritan Reformed Journal 5, no. 1 (January 2013): 5–14
- “The Message of Obadiah: It’s Going to be Okay” Puritan Reformed Journal 5, no. 2 (July 2013): 15–23
- “The Danger of Heartless Religion: An Exposition of Isaiah 1:2-18” Puritan Reformed Journal 6, no. 2 (July 2014): 5–15
- “Who Fought the Battle of Jericho? (Joshua 2, 6)” Puritan Reformed Journal 7, no. 1 (January 2015): 5–14
Sermons, lectures, and videos from Dr. Michael Barrett
Courses taught by Dr. Michael Barrett
- 111 – Hebrew I
- 112 – Hebrew II
- 120 – Methods of Heberew Exegesis
- 130 – The World of the Bible
- 132 – Old Testament Introduction
- 201 – Greek I
- 202 – Greek II
- 233 – The Text of the Bible
- BS811 – The History and Preservation of Biblical Text
- BS814 – Introduction to the Septuagint